Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Simple Games


Today video games, computer games, and  interactive websites have just about taken over in many households.  I miss the days of real games, that required physical activity.  Not a screen, not a controller, real life movement.

I cherish the memories I have of getting home after school, running across the street to where our dear friends lived, and playing until the sun went down.  We would climb trees, jump rope to rhymes, play spys, attempt to climb, and swing on the rope swing.  We would play tag, cops and robbers, and sometimes we would just walk around making up different scenarios to act on.  In the summers we would have water gun/balloon fights, and would get to play my favorite game of all: night hide and go seek.  We played in a very large fenced in backyard with many little nooks and crannies to hide in.  The trick in this game was to keep moving.  We would rotate hiding spots when the seeker had all ready looked there.

I find it rather disturbing that many children don't know, and don't want to get to know, the freedom of playing outside for extended periods of time.  Playing is not just for fun either.  It helps children develop muscle control and hand eye coordination.  It helps agility, balance, flexibility and strength.  Physically playing will not only help children further develop physically, but psychologically as well.  In a good environment, playing helps build self esteem and promotes a child's sense of self worth. 

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree with you more. My kids are always telling me that "all of their friends" are allowed to play video games and watch TV all day. I know that they hate it now when I send them outside, but some day they'll think me.

    ReplyDelete