Stove Top Hot Cocoa:
*Makes 3 to 5 servings
- 4 to 5 cups of milk (I use fat free, but it doesn't really matter; 1%, 2%, or whole milk makes for creamy dreamy hot cocoa)
- scant 2/3 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder (more or less depending on your chocolate preference)
- 1/2 cup sugar (I like sugar in the raw)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup whipping cream, or heavy cream
- Turn a burner on to med/high and place heavy bottomed pot on burner.
- Add milk, cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla,cinnamon, and nutmeg to the pot; stir continually with a whisk, breaking up any clumps, and simmer ingredients for about 5 minutes, getting as close as possible to a boil, without actually boiling it.
- Pour into mugs, filling them about 3/4 of the way up.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of whipping cream (heavy cream) to the mugs and stir.
- Whipped cream, marshmallows, an extra sprinkling of cinnamon, and/or chocolate shavings can be added to top the drink off.
- Serve as is, or with an accompaniment of fresh baked cookies (browned butter, or chocolate-peanut butter cookies are what I bake!)