|PUMPKIN SANDWICH CAKE|
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 to 1 cup canned pumpkin (I use about double that)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 of an 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup good semisweet chocolate chips
- Extra pumpkin pie spice for dusting
Directions:1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease bottoms and sides of two 8x1-1/2-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms with waxed paper; lightly flour pans. In bowl combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
2. In a second bowl beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until thick, about 5 minutes. Beat in pumpkin. Add flour mixture; beat just until combined. Spread cake batter in prepared pans. Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near centers come out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes; remove and cool thoroughly.
3. For filling, in a chilled mixing bowl beat whipping cream to soft peaks; set aside. In a second mixing bowl beat cream cheese until smooth; beat in powdered sugar. Fold in whipped cream. To assemble, place one cake layer on serving platter. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over bottom cake layer. Top with second cake layer. Refrigerate while preparing Chocolate Ganache.
4. In a small sauce pan heat just until boiling 1/2 cup of whipping cream. Remove from heat. Pour a cup of semisweet chocolate chips into the pan immediately, and let it sit for five minutes. Mix the cream and chocolate until smooth. Spread over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle lightly with pumpkin pie spice. Chill cake at least 1 hour before serving.
5. Store cake, loosely covered, in refrigerator. Makes 8 servings.