- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie (below)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced
Ingredients for CRUST:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1 tbsp. pieces, very cold
- 1/4-1/2 cup cold water
Directions for CRUST:
- Put the flour, salt and sugar into a food processor and pulse once or twice.
- Add the butter and process until the mixture looks grainy.
- Then slowly, while pulsing, add the water until you can form the dough by pressing it between your fingers.
- Decant the loose dough onto a piece of plastic wrap. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
- Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
- Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.