Saturday, January 28, 2012

January Blueberries

When I think of January I think of blue.  Cold, dreary, sometimes rainy, blue.  I do not think of the blue in January as having anything to do with summertime fruit; yet today at the grocery store I found blueberries that were somewhat affordable, so I took them home.

I commenced to use the yummy berries in a dreamy coffee-cake (or in my case, tea-cake).  It was perfect served warm on a cold day like today.  I sat with my favorite person, we ate with candles lit and heater ablaze, as the cold clashed and swirled outside.

A little more than slightly sweet, moist, dense, tasty cake.
As always, when attempting to whip up something scrumptious, use the highest quality products possible, as well as the most nutritious!


My January Blues Cake

1/2C butter (I used unsalted)
3/4C sugar in the raw
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 egg white (whip until soft peeks form)
1/3C organic milk
1/2C plain creamy Greek yogurt (I used Lucerne nonfat)

1 1/2C whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2C fresh blueberries (lightly coat with flour)

Method:

Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla, 2 eggs, prepared egg white, and milk.  Evenly mix in yogurt.  Separately combine flour, baking powder, salt, then add to the wet ingredients.  By hand, stir in prepared blueberries.  Bake in a greased and floured loaf pan, or 8 inch round at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, or until cake is done.


*Note To Baker*: to increase nutrition of cake, add mashed banana or apple sauce instead of butter.  It is very good topped with powdered sugar, lemon curd, whipped cream or glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment